Thursday, November 09, 2006

Freelancin'

So I've now finished two pieces for my freelance job, and I think it's going well. My only real problem is that there's no real training process for new freelancers. Which wouldn't really be a problem if it were just a writing job.

But I'm also producing my own piece, which is something I've never done before. Now, don't get my wrong; I 'm not complaining. Not by a long shot. I'm really enjoying this whole process, but I sometimes usually feel a little pretty lost.

Here's a basic rundown of what I do:

1. Get assignment. Wheee! They still like me and will write me another check!

2. Go to G4, retrieve a tape of footage from the game I'll be reviewing. Log clips of the footage. Turn in the tape to be digitized.

3. Play the game myself, if it doesn't look like it sucks too much. Record my own footage if I so desire.

4. Receive the actual review. Someone else has written a 2-5 page dry, technical review. It is my job to turn this into an exciting on-air package.

5. Poke out eyes when I realize how hard it'll be to turn this into something funny.

6. Try to write the script. This usually involves me staring at a blank screen for an hour.

7. Take a couple of belts of scotch.
8. Aaaahhhh!

9. Write the review. Schee, that swasn't scho hard!?

10. Pick out and download music for the piece. G4 subscribes to a really kickass music service that has tens of thousands of public domain and/or original songs. Want French cafe music? Want happy shopping music? Want faux, Queen-style rock? You're in luck, my friend.

11. Have the hosts record my script. I get to be in a sound booth with very minor celebrities! Yay!

12. Edit my piece. This is a 6 hour process that involves me sitting in an edit booth with an editor as we cut the video and audio (music AND dialogue). It's amazing how much you can finagle the audio till it fits perfectly. I decide which video clips go where in the piece. We make it look slick with all kinds of neat effects and graphics. I get notes from the producers while I'm there, we go back for a second pass, and I finally get it approved.

13. Go home and hope they'll call me next week.

Of all these steps, I'm really only familiar with steps 6-8. The rest is pretty much all new. I've never edited before and never produced, but I'm really enjoying it, and hopefully they'll keep asking me to put together packages for them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No updates???? Miss them!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!
Intresting whats think your car? immobilizer read OBD Code Reader

admiral immo
admiral scanner
admiral abs

Thank you!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home