Saturday, July 29, 2006

Helloooooo, Nurse!

My life has been changed.

No, my friends. I haven't found Jesus. I wasn't even aware he's gone missing.

I'm talking something greater.

Um, no. No, I still don't have a job. But that's not what I meant, either.

What's that? FUCK YOU, I do NOT need a nose job!

No, no, something has happened this week that I've been waiting YEARS for. Ever since the advent of the DVD, there have been precious few items I absolutely need. The Simpsons was one of those, but that came out rather quickly. Monty Python, Nightmare Before Christmas, Christopher Guest movies. I own them all. There is so much on DVD now, you almost have to go out of your way to name a show that's not on disc. You can get McMillan and Wife on DVD fer Chrissakes!

But for what seems like ages, Warner Brothers has dragged their feet putting on DVD what truly contends for best animated show of all time.

I'm talking about Animaniacs.

I was in middle school when Animaniacs came out, and I really liked to think (at the time) that it was aimed at a bit younger audience. I, however, counted myself among a sophisticated elite class that not only could laugh at fart jokes, but also at highbrow literary humor. In a house where TV time was severely limited, I DEMANDED permission to watch. This permission was only granted after my mom saw the "Yakko's World" segment.

When Warner announced several months ago that Animaniacs would soon be available on DVD, I immediately pre-ordered it on Amazon. It came this week, and this week has been pure bliss. The show not only holds up despite it's age - nigh on 14 years - it manages to surprise even me, who has seen nearly every episode.

I truly think that the development of the completely zany, surreal animated shows on Adult Swim can be traced in part to Animaniacs. It's smart, it's funny, it's a total inspiration.

Now, if they'd only release FREAKAZOID on DVD.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home